Match reports for Sat. 24-May, Sun 25-May


Camberwell U11 Scorpions 18 def MCC 6

Camberwell started strongly with Finn Whelen grabbing a pass from Charles Palfreeman to  open the scoring.  Mason Lewis followed by finding the net soon after and Edward Whelen added two to have the Scorpions in the lead by 4-2 at the quarter break.  David Quim and Max Broeks were holding the defence together with Meachem, Watt and and Zupan active around the midfield. When Wilson was fed on the crease by E. Whelen and Palfreeman scooted through on a dodging play to score, the Wells had pushed out to a 4 goal margin.  MCC came back with 2 answering goals but the elusive Edward Whelen beat the defence to have the home team 7-4 up at half-time.

Great defensive work by David Quim saw Camberwell turn back a number of scoring plays by MCC while at the other end of the field Mason Lewis clicked into top scoring gear to bag 4 quick goals on assists from the Whelen brothers.  Wilson and the Whelens added to the scoreboard and Camberwell stood dominant with a 14-5 margin at the final break.  Trinity Meachem, in her second game, was showing good positional sense as she covered her opposition player and picked up some nice groundballs. In the final term Dale Wilson stood out with two scoring plays and an assist to E. Whelen.  Watt and Palfreeman were running and contesting hard on the midfield and were instrumental in Camberwell controlling the game.  Max Broeks triumphed in a great one-on-one battle to secure a strong groundball before E. Whelen struck again to finish the match.

Goalthrowers:  E. Whelen 6, Lewis 5, Wilson 4, F.Whelen 2 and Palfreeman

Best:  Wilson. Lewis, E. Whelen and Palfreeman

Camberwell U15 Storm 7 def by Malvern 21

Storm knew they were going to have to work hard playing the top team.  Four recruits from Heat gave Storm a four person bench with Arran away injured.   Malvern had three on the bench.  Malvern were out of the blocks quickly and took a 6-0 lead in the first quarter, with some excellent running and accurate passing.  Malvern were able to force a turnovers which undid good Storm preparation.  Chris in goal did an excellent job all match against some slick scoring, with at least five shots bouncing off his stick or body as failed shots.  Storm started scoring in the second quarter with some clever shooting from Ethan B and Al, to get to 14-2.  The second half saw a more even affair with Storm able to slow down the Malvern attack and make them work much harder.  Storm continued to run hard but were often chasing.  Ground balls which were lost in the first half were more vigorously contested in the second with good results.  Storm ran to the last thanks in part to the deep bench and quality Heat from Angus, Tom, Nick and Blake (thanks) with a final score of 21-7.  Apart from the usual good performances Nick and Johnno stepped up a notch.  Storm demonstrated that they can put a game together under pressure but need to start in the first quarter.  The coaches gave praise to the effort and Adam noted that of the contested faceoffs Malvern won 17 to Storm’s 15.  The need to communicate between players and backing each other up proved invaluable in containing this ladder leader.  Both teams deservedly received hearty applause for their performances.

Camberwell U18 Chiefs 8 def Caulfield/MCC 3

Our first away day took us to Caulfield Park on a beautiful winter day. Our start to the game was sloppy and while we had won the faceoff, the many turnovers committed by both teams led to an up and down game but no score. Camberwell broke the ice shortly before quarter's end to go 1-up into the 2nd. The pattern continued for most of the game with defense making more of an impact than offense and at the end of the 3rd the score was an uncharacteristic 3-2 to the Chiefs. The boys shifted gears sparked by 2 conescutive goals by Nick off spin dodges at GLE and outscored Caulfied 5-1 in the 4th to get the win


Camberwell – Surrey Park U15 10 def Eltham 8

Following on from a first-up draw with Newport, the team was keen to continue their good form against Eltham, a team with which they had fought two close battles last season. Eltham began strongly with two quick goals, before Camb-Surrey pulled back level through McNamara (SP). With Goucher (SP) in goals making several important saves, and Hollenkamp (C) stalking the midfield, the game was evenly poised. Two more goals to each side saw a 4-4 scoreline at half-time.

Camb-Surrey took the initiative immediately on the restart of play in the second half with two quick goals, before Eltham replied with one. Goucher, now released from goal-keeping duties, and McKee (C) were proving very hard to get by in defence. Now in goals, Honeybone (C) continued her breakout form of last week with some stirring saves as well as a couple long passes into attack. With Hollenkamp and Bassett (SP) providing good pass-run link-ups through the midfield, McNamara and McAuliffe(SP) kept the attacking pressure on with Camb-Surrey soon two goals up. With great efforts also from newcomers Cleland (SP), Gay (SP) and Maloney (SP), Camb-Surrey finished fairly comfortably ahead for a 10-8 victory.