Match Reports 9 June 2012

Under 14 Boys

Camberwell 2 def by Footscray 30

It was always going to be a tough day at the office, Footscray have been dominant all season.

For the opening five minutes the teams appeared a reasonable match. Camberwell had two good shots at goal that were dragged down too short allowing the keeper time to make an easy save. Footscray soon began to get organized, screening out our attempts and moved the ball with clean passes around the goal scoring nine times. From there on the traffic was one way but to the credit of the whole team not once did they give up a chase or fail put themselves into the thick of it.

Given the deficit at half time, 0-15 the boys didn’t waver or drop their heads. Isaac (#10) copped a full-blooded blow to the back from a shot on goal (you could hear the thwack from the side lines). He came off the field to recover for a few minuets and then he stormed back on with a fierce determination that earned him three club votes. A terrific example of courage to the rest of the team. Colin (#19) also took a mighty thump from a shot to his leg he too deserves praise for putting aside the pain to continue to contribute on the field.

Lincoln (#7) toiled manfully and scored two goals for his effort and notably body checking one opponent over the side line in front of our bench, much to the appreciation of the coaches and supporters. Ben (#13) has really worked hard on his skills and he is now starting to reap the benefit.

We still need to work harder on our catching if we intend to exploit the opportunities created from the midfield, maintain our discipline in defense and a lot more on field communication between each other is needed to help the player in possession make better decisions.

It’s easy to be magnanimous in victory, but our lads displayed true depth of character to put aside the defeat to give Footscray a rousing cheer.


Under 12 Boys - Magic

Camberwell Magic 3 def by Caulfield Cobras 8

Wow, look how big they are!  To some of our youngest midget players the Caulfield Cobras came onto the field looking more like the Caulfield Giants.  Despite being intimidated the Magic got down to the task even if it was apprehensively.  Harry Shugg and Danny Taylor were soon in the thick of it, cutting off the ball in defence and driving it forward through Joe Pagliaro, Roy Loveday and Sven Willett.  Cooper Vella made some great saves in goal and followed up with strong clearing runs and when quarter time arrived - hey presto the score was nil all.

Patrick Whelen , playing in only his second match,  was contesting hard and collecting plenty of groundballs.  The bigger Caulfield midfielders started to exert their influence and put two goals on the board.  Finn Whelen, playing in attack, gave his man the slip midway into  the second term and got the ball nicely to Tom Lee for the Magic's first goal.  The Wells smallest guys, Sasha Willett and Edward Whelen showed their mettle by contesting loose balls and doing plenty of midfield running.  At half time the Magic were 4-2 in arrears, a fair indication of the superior fire power of the opposition.

Tom Lee added his second goal to the Magic tally at the opening of the third quarter after good team play between Sven Willett and Harry Shugg to get the ball forward.  Loveday was intercepting well and showing the benefit of his rapidly improving stickwork.  Taylor, now in goals, was putting on a classy display but the Caulfield rush kept coming and the term saw us 6-3 down.  Vella was leading the Magic defence, knoking down passes and swooping on loose balls but two further last term goals came from Caulfield before the final bell. 

Best for the Wells were Danny Taylor, Joe Pagliaro, Tom Lee and Patrick Whelen