Match Reports 28-29 April 2012

Division 3

Camberwell 13 def Moreland 4

Our 2nd game of the season was away against Moreland. We welcomed Ranga in cage and were glad to see Kiran re-join the squad. After a relatively even first quarter, we started to pull ahead. Our over aggressive defensive approach attracted the umpire's attention and saw us with a man down for major parts of the game. However, Moreland's skill errors and our quality back line meant that they were unable to capitalise on the opportunities and we ended up with a 13-4 win.

Two notable events were Josh Anderson running the length of the field to lead a fast break (but he got checked in the end), and Tallon lost a face off.

Under 16

Camberwell 25 def MHS Gold 1

For our first home game, we faced one of the three Melbourne High School teams - MHS Gold. This team comprised of boys who have just started playing Lacrosse. While the MHS boys kept competing they were able to match the well-seasoned Camberwell boys. This allowed the coaches to try some variations like swapping the attack line with the defence line and getting Ben out of goal and onto the field.

However, all-in-all this was an easy, one sided game which saw Camberwell win comfortably 25-1. Hats off go to the Melbourne High boys who greatly improved throughout the game.

Under 14 Boys

Camberwell 14 def by Altona 16

The first points paying match of the season was a repeat of last year's fixture. Both clubs fielded sides with a mix of new and experienced players. Despite Lincoln (#7) dominating the face offs and carrying the ball down centre to score on three occasions, Altona were twice able to reply, a dis-allowed goal being the only difference at the bell. Our defence broken down at times and left our goalie to make some great saves. With a little more teamwork the first quarter could have produced a better outcome than 3-2.

The same theme ran through the second quarter, Lincoln providing the drive to keep the scoreboard ticking but needing others to support his efforts. Other players were given the opportunity to face off and did so effectively, but forays into attack often ended in a low percentage shot at goal or having the ball turned over. Lincoln goaled four times, Andreas (#15) once. Having only two men on the bench meant rotating the mid-field regularly to spread the work-load but the teams were evenly matched and at the main break Camberwell held the slimmest advantage. 8-7.

Altona came out and blitzed our guys with four goals before we could muster a response, some determined and at times fearsome defensive work by Angus (#25) together with a few timely saves gave us the opportunity to claw back in the closing stages of the third quarter, Lincoln assisting Miles (#29) to score his first. 11-11 at the end of the third.

The two teams battled hard in the fourth, a couple of defensive errors allowed Altona to hit the back of the net twice and gain the momentum. Jonathan (#32) produced an inspired goal to keep the game alive. With one minute remaining and a goal down Camberwell forged toward goal, the ball clipping the wrong side of the post. With the Chief’s clearly tiring missing depth from the bench, Altona scored again to end the match 16-14.